Housing Counseling Services
Catholic Charities’ provides housing counseling services, including the First Time Homebuyer Program:
- Pre & Post Purchase Counseling for First Time Homebuyers in the City of Elmira
- Mortgage Foreclosure Prevention in Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben, Tompkins & Tioga Counties
- Financial Fitness Services
- Adopter of the National Industry Standards for Homeownership
- Education and Counseling
- Member of HomeSmartNY, the leading coalition of homeownership advisors in New York State
Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
This is newly-launched Federal program provides low-income households with discounts of up to $30 a month for internet service as well as a one-time discount of up to $100 on the purchase of a computer or tablet.
For more information, see the informational flyer at this link or go ACPBenefit.org, where you can also apply or print out a mail-in application.
Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
This is a Federal program that helps low-income households meet the high costs of home energy.
Income and resource eligibility standards change annually.
A single annual benefit based on the household’s method of heating is provided. Emergency assistance is also available.
For help applying, contact one of the three HEAP contact offices in Tompkins County offices, or find your county’s location here.