Legislature Considers Historic NYS Minimum Wage Increase: YOU Can Help!
A once in a generation plan to make NY’s Minimum Wage a LIVING WAGE is on the agenda of the state legislature, and YOU CAN HELP. See below for more information or call TCWC: 607-269-0409; Text 607-339-1680; or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Raise the Wage Act (S1978/A2204) would restore New York’s badly eroded minimum wage to at least $21.25 downstate by 2026 and $21.25 upstate by 2027. The wage then adjusts automatically each year to make sure it doesn’t fall behind again.
The current minimum wage – $14.20 an hour – just isn’t enough for residents of Tompkins County or anywhere else upstate. Especially as the price of groceries, housing, utilities and gas have risen, it is far from a living wage, and working families are struggling with this every day.
Here’s how you can help.
- Do you get paid less than a living wage and are you having a hard time getting by? Contact the Workers’ Center. We need people who are willing to share their story publicly at a public forum or in writing;
- Contact your State legislator either by phone or in writing. This is especially important if you live outside the Ithaca area. Find your State Senator by entering your address HERE. And here you can find your Assembly person;
- Write letters to local media, like the Ithaca Journal, Ithaca Times, Ithaca Voice <email@example.com> and others. Here are some Talking Points;
- Ask your union, religious congregation, political party, any community organization you work with, and any other group you are affiliated with to publicly endorse this legislation;
- Talk to your family, friends, neighbors, and your local legislator.
HERE is a fact sheet with more information. HERE is an OpEd we’ve had published in the Ithaca Voice. HERE is the person that can make a difference – YOU!!!
Thanks for your support and for all you do.
Tompkins County Workers’ Center
March 8, 2023 @ 12:39 pm
If this goes through it will destroy small businesses like me. I been in business for 18 years. The last time a proposal went through like this for $15 i lost my crew. I had to work 75 hrs a week alone everyday just to stay in businnes. Its taken me years to adjust and i finally started hiring again. I can not and will not be able to do it again. The insurance rates will be absolutely unaffordable. Rather than raise wages, why not lower the cost of living. The taxes are outrages. The forced insurances are outrages. It’s not a minimum wage problem. It’s a corrupt greedy government problem. None of this is being done to help people. It’s meant to kill the middle class.